Saturday, March 9, 2013

That's So Rad!

A page from my my daughter's book

My daughter has decided that she wants to be a writer some day just like Mommy, so she’s been creating her own little books this week.  Since she is only in kindergarten, I am often amused by some of her little spelling errors.  Today, she made a 4-page story for me and my fiancĂ©, complete with cute illustrations and staples to hold the papers together.

As I read each page, I was so proud of my little girl!  Just this year her handwriting, spelling, and artwork have blossomed.  Her books are so adorable that I want to scoop her up in my arms and give her a giant bear hug every time.  Seeing her share my love of drawing, writing, and reading will forever stay in a special place in my heart.

When I reached the last page of her latest book, though, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud!  There, above a cute illustration herself, my daughter had written, “The hat is rad.”  Although I knew right away that she had meant “red” not “rad”, it made me chuckle until I teared up.  Confused, she asked me, “What’s so funny, Mommy?”

I asked her if she knew what “rad” means and she only shook her head.  In my explosive giggling state, her puzzled look only made me laugh harder.  How do you explain to a 5-year-old that years ago—which seems like an eternity for her—that you and your little friends used to think they were so cool by calling things “radical” or “totally rad”?  Yeah, we thought we were big shots back then.  Now those terms have fallen away replace all new slang words.

It makes me wonder what else my kids will never experience.  Because I still love to play records, they know what a record player is.  However, they have never seen someone make a mixed tape.  They have no idea what a pager is.  They have never gotten the chance to feel the frustration and then the sheer joy of having to blow into their video games to make them work.  They can’t imagine life without computers, cell phones, Leap Pads, and toys with tons of features.  They are shocked when I mention that I didn’t grow up with Sponge Bob, Dora, Diego, Phineas & Ferb, or Max & Ruby.  It’s just another reminder of how things are constantly changing and how fast time flies by!

No comments:

Post a Comment