Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day Mambo

My son and daughter are currently music maniacs.  If they aren’t asking for me to turn on the radio or CD player, they are singing, making their own music, or dancing.  They equate music with happiness and excitement.  If it’s sunny outside finally after a week of rain, let’s sing about it!  If we just watched an amazing new movie, let’s run around dancing to the music during the end credits!  If a special occasion is coming up, it won’t be complete with some music with loads of singing and dancing!

Their enthusiasm and energy are inexhaustible and make me laugh and smile each and every time.  I often wonder how on earth such happy and lively children came from me.  My family has often told me that I was a reserved, thoughtful, and serious child.  Of course, I had my hyper and excitable moments at times.  However, from a young baby, I was often content to simply sit quietly and study the world around me.  My late father used to tease me growing up that I was an old lady stuck in a child’s body.

Over the years, I have learned to live it up more and to act like a total goofball to have a good laugh.  But truthfully, most of what I’ve learned about the lighter side of life has come from my own children.  We have water battles, run races, dress up in funny costumes, and talk to each other in silly voices.  It is as though my inner child has finally escaped and now has room to run free!

My children challenge me all the time to break out of my comfort zone and do things completely out of character for my reserved self.  For example, my daughter (almost 5) has decided I must dance to celebrate Mother‘s Day this weekend.  She explained to me yesterday that I am, quote, “the best mommy ever so [I] need to dance!”

I told her I don’t really know how to dance, but she immediately insisted that everyone knows how to dance.  I only have to listen to the music and move.  My own dance will just happen.  She also added that I have to do my Mother’s Day dance with her and in front of others.  (What’s the use of dancing if not to share it with others?)

The thought of dancing with other people in the room mortifies me!  In fact, besides a little swaying to the music, I haven’t attempted to dance in over a decade.  Yet, my little princess is set on having our little mother/daughter dance session.  And who am I to disprove her Best-Mommy-Ever title?  So, here goes nothing . . . wish me luck because this mama is off to find her inner rhythm this weekend!

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms, grandmas, wives, and special women out there!

9 comments:

  1. Stage fright is really fear of failure, which is just an excuse not to do something. Realize that no matter how you dance with your daughter for Mother's Day, you cannot fail! The only way to fail is not to do it. :) Have fun! Revel in your daughter wanting to be with you and dance with you! In a few short years she may be too "cool" to dance with Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you put it that way I better not pass up the chance. I hope my daughter never outgrows her Mommy-is-awesome stage, but preteens and teens can be a bit touchy and backward when it comes to their parents!

      Delete
  2. I think this is fantastic, and I can relate to it so well! I am also naturally introverted, and having kids was one of the best things to get me out of it. They had me doing goofy things that I had never done before, which is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rebecca, it IS a great thing, and it's a wonderful feeling! :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you take her up on her challenge, and dance like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter just reminded me this evening of our dance date. I guess I'm completely committed now!

      Delete
  4. Have fun! And if you end up getting freaked, just turn and look at your little girl and enjoy her energy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one will remember you being a bad (or great) dancer, but they will probably remember you being a great mom. Your kids will especially remember that.

    ReplyDelete